Lindos

Lindos fine beaches make it a popular tourist and holiday destination

So many reasons to visit Lindos

Lindos lies on the east coast of the island. It is about 50 km south of the town of Rhodes and its fine beaches make it a popular tourist and holiday destination. Lindos is situated in a large bay and faces the fishing village and small resort of Haraki.

The Lindos Citadel Acropolis

The Citadel is situated on too of a 116 m. high rocky hill, its location indeed making of it a unique terrace over the Aegean sea. Tradition has it that the founders of this citadel – or, better said, of the ancient shrine around which the citadel was to develop - were the 50 Danaïdes - all of them daughters of Danaos, the mythical hero of Ancient Argos – who traveled to the island from Egypt, where they used to live and decided to dedicate a temple to Goddess Athena (Minerva).

The Lindos Citadel Acropolis

The Ancient Theatre

Situated on the southwest side of the rocky hill, immediately below the temple to Goddess Athena, this ancient theater consists of a circular chorus parterre and spacious tiers for the spectators, all of them masterfully carved in the very slope of the hill. Also visible are the so-called Proedreies, i.e. special seating arrangements around the chorus parterre, reserved for prominent spectators. The area reserved to the common spectators – koilon in Greek, consisted of 19 rows of seats underneath the main tier and another 7 rows above it. Out of the 9 tiers, only five have been preserved. This theater is believed to have been of a seating capacity of 1800 spectators. Excavations carried out in the area off the far end of the stage brought to light the remains of a four-gallery building, believed to have been used for religious rites. In later times, the premises were successively occupied by three Christian shrines.

The Ancient Theatre

Church of Virgin Mary

The Church of Virgin Mary (15th Century) is a cross-form religious construction featuring an eight-angle cupola, whitewashed walls, tile-covered roof and floors covered with black and white pebble-made mosaics. This church is known for its exquisite hagiographies, dating from 1779 and created by Gregorios, a renowned folk hagiographer originating from the island of Symi. The imposing belfry and the heraldic symbols of the knights are reminiscent of the island’s medieval past.

Church of Virgin Mary

Tharri Byzantine Monastery

Within some 4 km distance from Laerma village, one comes across the stony walls of the Archangel Michael Monastery. Built between the 9th and 10th Centuries and set against a lush green valley, this establishment still resists to electricity (it is lit by candles only).

Tharri Byzantine Monastery